- / Procedures
- / Children living away from home
- / Looked After Children and Leaving Care
- / Accommodating a child
- / Residential placements
- / Complex needs panel
Complex needs panel
Any request for an ongoing out of jurisdiction service to be provided has to be presented before a multi-disciplinary complex needs panel prior to the placement finding commencing to approve the plan and thereafter to approve the plan.
The overall aim of the Complex Needs Panel is to provide for children and young people and their families, where it is not possible to meet their needs on island, access to out of jurisdiction placements that:
- protect the rights of children and young people;
- ensures that the child or young person is safe;
- are effective i.e. demonstrate the ability to meet the needs identified;
- allow for the likely effect on the child, in the short, medium and long-term and for how the placement may affect reintegration into Guernsey / Alderney;
- represent value for money.
- The panel must firstly approve the plan to visit and identify prospective placements prior to further consideration if the plan is approved.
- The social worker should prepare a case to take to complex needs outlining the reasons why out of jurisdiction provision is felt necessary and the costs involved.
- All significant costs in out of jurisdiction placements must be approved by complex needs panel prior to implementation.
- For additional costs up to £500 approval can be given outside the complex needs format either by the assistant director or the chair of the complex needs panel.
- Complex needs panel meets every six weeks and requests should be with the chair nine days before panel.
|Report prepared for complex needs panel (including costs) with consideration of independent advocacy for young people with complex needs and communication difficulties placed out of jurisdiction||Social worker||Child's plan to replace interagency summary||Nine days before panel|
|Approval (or not) given for placements to be visited||Complex needs panel||Minutes of panel||At complex needs panel|
|Placements visited||Social worker / Educational psychologist Clinical psychologist / Fostering & adoption social worker||Computer||Prior to next panel|
|Case returned to panel for consideration of out of jurisdiction placement||Social worker||Child's plan||Nine days before panel|
|If placement costs in excess of £250,000 director to be advised to advise CMT / board||Designated senior manager||Minutes/email||Immediately|
|Approval given to progress out of jurisdiction placement||Complex needs panel||Minutes of panel||At complex needs panel|
|Placement progressed||Social worker / Educational psychologistClinical psychologist / Fostering and adoption social worker||Computer||As agreed at complex needs panel|
- Child protection
- Youth Offending
- Children with Disabilities