- / Procedures
- / Children living away from home
- / Family Placement Service
- / Recruitment and approval
- / Review of Approval
Review of Approval
Every foster carer should be reviewed 12 months after their initial registration and then every year with no more than 12 months between each review.All first reviews and any subsequent reviews with a recommendation of:
- a change of approval
- significant incidents
- significant changes of circumstances
- are considered by the appropriate panel which makes recommendations to the agency decision maker.The fostering and adoption team manager considers all other reviews of carers approval.
The review of fostering approval process should:
- satisfy the approving authority of the continuing capacity of the foster carers to carry out the fostering task,
- contribute to essential information on the quality and range of services provided by the Department, and
- inform recruitment, assessment and training strategies
- The fostering and adoption team will complete a key details form which includes the following as appropriate,
- health and safety check (annually)
- pet questionnaire (annually and when a new pet arrives)
- safer caring policy (annually and at each new placement)
- pleasure craft questionnaire (if appropriate)
- fire check (every three years or as appropriate)
- medicals or update medical or comments from GP (every two years)
- enhanced police disclosure checks (every three years)
- unannounced visit (annually).
The fostering and adoption team also complete their own report with regard to the last twelve months. Further reports are:
- carers report,
- children of carers report,
- child/young person report for all children placed in the review period,
- social workers report for all children placed in the review period.
Reviews should be planned by the fostering and adoption team, ensuring each foster carer is reviewed in line with expectations. Click here for a copy of the annual review .
The annual review (2008) should follow the formats listed above ensuring that all requirements are checked and recorded. Training and development needs should be assessed and recorded to give an analysis of further requirements. The annual review report and the letter confirming re-approval status will be sent to the foster carer. Copies of all documentation will be placed on the foster carers' file.
The foster carers should receive copies of all written submissions and have the opportunity to contribute their own written comments. Where there are two registered foster carers in the household both must be reviewed. All members of the household must be included in the review and consulted.
A review should be held following any significant incident, complaint, change of circumstances or allegation of abuse or neglect or following a period of significant ill health.
|Complete or update key details form||Fostering and adoption team/admin||Carer file||Annually|
|Send out annual review forms to necessary people||Fostering and adoption team/admin||Carer file||One month before review is due|
|Send copy of all returned forms to foster carers with standard letter||Fostering and adoption team/admin||Carer file||As appropriate|
|Make date for annual review meeting||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||As appropriate|
|Hold annual review meeting||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||As appropriate|
|Write summary of meeting||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||Within 10 working days of meeting|
|Send two copies of annual review summary to carers and declaration to sign. Carers return one signed copy and the declaration||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||Within 15 working days of meeting|
|Present summary or full review to panel where appropriate following panel procedures||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||At next panel meeting|
|Ratify panel decision||Agency decision maker/admin||Carer file||Within 10 working days of panel|
|Sign off annual review if appropriate||Fostering and adoption team manager||Carer file||Within 10 working days|
|Place signed declaration and signed summary with all other paperwork onto carer file||PA Fostering and Adoption Team||Carer file||As appropriate|
|Send confirmation letter to carers regarding outcome||PA Fostering and Adoption Team||Carer file||Within 10 working days|
|Place confirmation letter on carers file||PA Fostering and Adoption Team||Carer file||Immediately|
|Any recommendations arising from review are actioned.||Fostering and adoption team||Carer file||As appropriate|
- Child protection
- Youth Offending
- Children with Disabilities