- / Procedures
- / Children living away from home
- / Family Placement Service
- / Management of Foster Carers
- / Claims for Damage or Loss
Claims for Damage or Loss
The Department currently has an agreement with Clegg Gifford insurance brokers with regard to a foster carer insurance scheme. This scheme allows foster carers the opportunity to take out household insurance which will cover them against malicious or accidental damage caused by children placed with them.
Should carers wish to join this scheme they pay a premium of £50 per child per year that they are registered to care for which is reimbursed to them by the Department. A standard £50 excess applies which will be met by the Department with a successful claim.
- The States of Guernsey insurers will provide legal expenses cover in the event of an allegation being made against a foster carer where the carer is found to be not guilty.
- Carers should ensure that any foster children placed with them are covered by travel insurance in the event that they wish to take them on trips or holidays off Island, including the UK. The Department will reimburse the cost of this insurance.
- With regard to motor insurance it is the foster carer's responsibility to ensure their policy covers them for having foster children in their cars. In circumstances where malicious damage has been caused to a car by a foster child which falls outside of the policy the Department will consider reparation.
- Claims should not be made for any damage that has been paid for by the carers own insurance.
- If a series of claims affects the renewal premium or rate of excess of carers' insurance the department will meet the additional cost.
- Carers must tell their insurance company that they are foster carers.
- Claims by carers should be processed through the fostering and adoption team.
|Record damage caused by foster child. Inform Fostering and Adoption Team||Foster carer||Carer's file||On first available working day following damage occurring|
|Consultation with carers own insurance company||Foster carer||Letter / phone call from foster carer||Within 24 hours of damage occurring.|
|Carers to discuss situation with the fostering and adoption team. Appropriate estimates for replacement or repair of broken goods to be obtained as per claims process of insurers Consider whether visit is appropriate.||Foster carer and fostering and adoption team||Letter and estimates by foster carer to insurers or fostering and adoption team as appropriate||As per insurance process|
|Where damage is not covered under insurance scheme then write a brief report regarding the incident/claim and send to fostering and adoption team manager||Fostering and adoption team||Carers file||Within 14 days|
|If damage is not covered under foster carers' insurance scheme then decision made to support or reject claim.||Fostering and adoption team manager and Service manager||Carers file||Within 7 days.|
|Approval of payment.||Service manager||Carers file||Immediately|
|Notify carers of decision.||Fostering and adoption team||Carers file||Within 7 days|
- Child protection
- Youth Offending
- Children with Disabilities