Involving the child, their family and other professionals
The child, their parents and carers must be told the rationale for the case transfer and kept fully informed of the transfer process itself. The explanation must be done in a way that the child understands.
All professionals involved in the case must be told the rationale for the case transfer and kept fully informed of the transfer process itself and informed.
The process of transfer
The transfer process is managed through allocation meetings, attended by team managers. Any issues arising form this meeting will be escalated up to the next level of management.
Once a transfer is agreed at this meeting:
- the social worker will complete a transfer summary
- the team manager will ensure that the files are accurate and complete
- case records should ideally be handed over in a face to face meeting with the new worker, however if this is not possible then they should be sent by courier.
- When a case of a child who is looked after needs to be transferred the team manager who is responsible for the case will agree transfer with the next team manager. A date for the transfer of the case will be agreed. This should normally take place at the point where a community parenting order is granted or by negotiation between the team managers.The case remains within the assessment and intervention team if the looked after child is subject to care proceedings.
|Decide that transfer is necessary and in the interests of the child||Team managers||Computer||As agreed|
|Notify receiving team manager and agree a process for transfer including date for transfer meeting and date of transfer||Team managers||Computer||As agreed|
|Complete write up of case file and transfer summary||Social worker||Transfer summary||As agreed|
|Review file, sign and date transfer summary||Team manager||Transfer summary||As agreed|
|Hold allocation meeting||Social workers and team managers||Computer and minutes||As agreed|
|Carry out joint visit||Social workers||Computer||As agreed|
|Handover file||Social workers||Computer||As agreed|
|Record transfer||Team managers||Computer||As agreed|
- Child protection
- Youth Offending
- Children with Disabilities